Friday, March 22, 2013

Snack Time

I am really, REALLY trying to be healthier with my eating habits. I am attempting to eat WAY less processed foods and more whole foods that make me eat clean. My start is adding more fruits and veggies, then I will attempt to lower the meat consumption.

Wednesday night I turned into Martha Stuart (you know the cooking and baking side...no illegal actions done here), and made a couple snacks. My food processor was a busy little guy.

The first thing I made was kale pesto. I'm learning what a super-food kale is for you. Did you know that kale is one of the healthiest veggies on the planet? It can protect from cancer, lower cholesterol, it is high in antioxidants. It is a good source of Vitamins A, C, and K and contains a source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

 Kale Pesto:
Ingredients
1 bunch of kale (about 12 ounces) washed
2 cloves raw garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice
pinch of kosher salt
black pepper, a few grinds.

Instructions
1. place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until pasty and well combined, 30-60 seconds.
2. scrape into a lidded container and store in refrigerator until use.

*Washing the kale
especially if you have picked it from your back yard, where aphids hang out, wash the kale under very hot water to dislodge critters. This will begin to soften it slightly, and it will turn bright-dark green.

I eat mine with multigrain chips and the above a delish...they are gluten free and all ingredients are easily pronounced!

I found this recipe on pinterest from Shockingly Delicious


My next snack of the evening was vanilla cinnamon almond butter, and it is yummy. It adds just the sweetness and flavor to my apples that I'm looking for. Plus it adds protein and good fat, I say that's a win- win.
Ingredients
2 cups roasted almonds
1/2 Tbs. vanilla
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 Tbs. olive oil

Instructions
1. place almonds in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground.
2. add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a few minutes at a time, making sure to scrape the sides of the food processor bowl frequently (if mixture sticks).
3. process for about 5-7 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
4. store in a closed jar or container.

I found this sweet treat on pinterest as well from greatist{dot}com

I hope you enjoy these tasty super-food snacks!

No comments: